How to Uninstall Apps on Mac – Delete Apps On Mac – The culture shock of leaving one operating system for another can be indescribable. No one can attest to this like Apple Mac neophytes who left Windows or Linux for Mac. To be honest, Mac offers some of the most user-friendly operating systems around. Getting things done on your Mac is not dissimilar to getting things done on your phone.
Just like on your phone, deleting files on Mac is deceptively easy. All you need to do is drag the program’s icon to the trash folder. But in most cases, this action doesn’t’ actually uninstall the program completely. It works similarly to deleting files on Windows. Therefore, to completely remove programs from your Mac, you need a tool that’s similar to “Uninstall Programs” on Windows.
There’s a number of reasons as to why you would want to remove programs from your Mac. It could be that you want to get organized. Maybe you found an alternative application to fill the gap of the one you intend on deleting. Maybe your hard drive is full. Whatever the reason may be, you want to be able to uninstall that program without leaving any residual files or data on your hard drive. That’s why we’ve decided to help by showing you how to uninstall apps on your Mac.
Table Of Contents
Top Three Ways to uninstall Apps on Mac
1. Using Trash
- Open Finder and then navigate to the Applications folder in the left pane.
- This will then display all your applications in the main middle panel. Scroll through your list of applications to find the one you want to delete.
- Once you’ve found it, there are four ways to delete it.
- You can right-click on the application and select “Move to trash” from the context menu.
- Drag and drop the application to the trash folder.
- You can choose “Move to trash” from the file menu.
- You can hit Command+delete on your Macs keyboard.
- Once you’ve moved your application to the trash folder, you need to empty it. You can do this by right-clicking the Trash icon and selecting “Empty Trash” from the revealing context menu. Alternatively, you can open the Trash folder and find the program you sent to the trash folder, right click it and then select “Delete”. What this will do is delete the application completely without removing any other files and folders in your trash can.*Note: To complete step 4, you might have to enter in your password upon request.
2. Using the Launchpad
- Open Launchpad by clicking on the spaceship icon on your Mac’s dock. This will display a list of the apps currently installed on your Mac.
- Locate the application you want to delete.
- Click and hold on the app until it shakes. This is similar to what happens on an iPhone. After a short moment, a tiny cross (x) will appear on the top right corner of the application’s icon. Click on the cross and confirm that you want to remove the program.
3. Using the Library folder to completely remove a program
- First, you need to reveal the Library folder. Open the Finder application.
- Select your Mac Hard Drive from the Devices option in the left panel.
- Hold down the Command + Shift +. (period) keys on your keyboard. This will reveal all hidden files. To hide the files again, you can press the same key combination.
- Once that’s complete, you need to find your Library folder. While you’re in the Finder application, Hold down the Alt/Option key and choose Go from the drop-down Menu bar at the top of the screen. You will see the ~/Library folder listed below the Home folder.
- Now, you should be able to access the Library folder and see the hidden items in it. Scroll through the list of folders and look for the one related to the application you’re trying to permanently delete. You can delete it from them from here.Be careful not to make any mistakes by deleting the wrong folders. This could stop certain applications from working or even stop your Mac from working properly.
Additionally, you could always download an uninstaller. Basically, an uninstaller is an application that allows you to uninstall other applications on your Mac. You can find a few good ones on the Apple store. Hopefully, this short tutorial has helped you discover how to delete and uninstall applications from your Mac. If you like the content, please share it with all your friends and family. If you have any recommendations, corrections or general thoughts, please leave a comment or two in the comment section. As always, thank you for reading.
More in Mac OS X :
Toptenbiz Founder and an aspiring entrepreneur who keeps a close eye on open source, tech giants, and security. Get in touch with him by sending an email — email@example.com